Since 1996, C. Wells has developed a painting practice akin in spirit to that of a contemporary topographer, exclusively using line marker paint—an industrial medium used to mark the borders and boundaries of highways and roads to regulate vehicular or pedestrian movement. Whether replicating the language of the lines or using the paint itself as material to create various narratives, he investigates the history and heritage of line marking, beginning with its origins in Trenton, Michigan in 1911. Analogous to a social cultural pursuit that can be read equally as art, abstraction or as a new treatise on landscape painting, Wells purports the ubiquity of the line marker as the emblem of city, country and spaces in-between. (REDUX) comprises a body of works that debuted in the 2012 exhibition Place and Space, organized by the artist for 270 Sherman Avenue North in Hamilton.
Photography: Robert McNair
C. Wells exhibitions include Place and Space, 270 Sherman, Hamilton; Topographies, UNION Gallery, Kingston; WHITE ROMA / WHITE PELEE, Art Gallery of Hamilton; Future Cities, Art Gallery of Hamilton; RoadWorks Performance Festival, Mercer Union, Toronto; 1911, McMaster Museum of Art, Hamilton; Mitchell: Southwest Triennial, Museum London; 1998 Alberta Biennial of Contemporary Art, Glenbow Museum / Edmonton Art Gallery; A to B: Post-Aesthetic Painting, The New Gallery, Calgary. He is the recipient of various grants and awards including the Canada Council for the Arts, Ontario Arts Council and the Alberta Foundation for the Arts. He is based in Hamilton.